This amazing deli sub is something that you can enjoy at home, no matter where you are. Classic Reuben sandwiches are made with rye bread, corned beef, sauerkraut, Russian dressing and Swiss cheese – this version is made with either rye or a submarine roll, pastrami instead of corned beef, and thousand island dressing. All of these ingredients are readily available in Japan – the only trick is finding an oven to broil up the sandwich. If using rye bread, a toaster oven will do the trick. If you want to make a sub, you will need a way to broil it up. So if you don’t have a full size oven, I recommend using a tabletop range like my Balmuda range.
In Japan, it’s not always to find a classic deli sandwich. But there are delis, and each year around the holidays you can find pastrami and smoked ham. So each year around the holidays, my family and I enjoy classic sub sandwiches just like the ones in the US.
The trick to making a great Reuben sandwich is choosing the right bread. Rye bread is the traditional bread, but I prefer to use a hoagie or a submarine roll. I suggest using a soft butter roll with a crispy surface. When you heat up the bread in the oven you want to crisp up the inside of the roll while eating your cheese and heating up the pastrami and sauerkraut.
|5 mins||7 mins||Serves 2|
- 1/4 lb Sliced Pastrami (100g)
- 1/4 Sliced Swiss Cheese (100g)
- 1/2 cup Sauerkraut (100g)
- 1/4 cup Thousand Island Dressing (50ml)
- 1 12” Submarine Roll (30cm) or 4 slices Rye Bread
- Cut the submarine roll down the middle and open it up.
- Spread the thousand island dressing over the right and left side of the split roll, or over each slice of rye bread.
- Add the pastrami and then sauerkraut to one side of the roll (or slice of bread) and the Swiss cheese to the other side.
- Broil at 230 degrees C/450 degrees F for 7-8 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Close the sandwich, slice in half and serve.
- Pastrami, corned beef, ham, or even roast beef all go well in this sandwich.
- This recipe makes 2 sandwiches or 2 6” subs.
If you need ingredients and would like to support our site, then please consider using the links below to order.